Who would have thought? Did you realize that yesterday, March 23, 2015 marked the fifth anniversary of Obamacare. Sure enough it was passed five years ago and there’s a lot going on with it. Some people are happy, some others are not happy and many don’t realize how it affects them. Let’s recap because this is the mandate that says EVERYONE has to have health insurance and if they do not they will be penalized.
Let’s also remember that this is the mandate that says in other words, Hey we are going to help you get health insurance as long as you qualify for a subsidy. Whew what an eye opener this has been for a lot of people. Let’s jump into the eye openers:
(1) In the beginning, there were policies that got cancelled because they didn’t meet the criteria for insurance.
(2) Those consumers got a reprieve for a minute.
(3) There were people who didn’t realize they would be penalized IF they didn’t have health insurance and they are discovering that now as they file their taxes.
(4) People who got health insurance through the federal or state exchange and got a subsidy, many are discovering they have to pay a part of the subsidy back!! OH yea, they are not happy one bit!!
(5) There are people who have health insurance and can’t find providers to take these plans. Hmmm, what do you have then?
(6) Once you are in a plan, you cannot change plans unless you have a qualifying event.
(7) Millions of people now have health insurance who didn’t have it before. Have they tried to use it is our question?
We’ve watched what has been happening over the last two years and how this law continues to change the rules. It never appears to us that the rules benefit the consumer but instead the insurance companies. How is the “little guy” whose following the rules stay on top of this? When we get an answer we will let you know!!