Anthem buys Cigna? If you live in Colorado, get prepared. Do you realize when health insurance companies MERGE there will be less competition when it comes to the healthcare exchange? This will greatly impact your wallet! Oh, were we not supposed to tell you that? Of course we were. We are here to help you take care of your health.
When we reviewed the number of companies on the exchange, we knew there was Kaiser, Anthem and even Cigna. Now we are talking Kaiser and Anthem. So what will this do for the network? Hmm, much narrower network which leads to fewer providers. How will this work if your doctor is not on the network?
(1) You could pay more if your doctor is in another plan that costs more money.
(2) You could also pay out of pocket to see your doctor which was not the purpose of getting a health insurance plan.
(3) If you get a plan and don’t discover until two or three months down the road your doctor is not in the plan, you are STUCK and cannot change. Didn’t know you couldn’t change plans midstream? You can only do that if you change jobs, get married, have a child, lose a job, or move to another state.
Do you think these companies who are merging realize the amount of money they have made on the exchange and want to get a bigger piece of the pie from a competitive yet smaller company? True enough this allows them to gain more of the market share.
If the health insurance companies are winning money wise, is the consumer winning as well? We want you to take a poll. Go to 15 of your friends (make it a good mixture) and find out the following:
(1) Do they have health insurance?
(2) Is it through an employer or is it an individual plan?
(3) Are they self-employed?
(4) Who is their insurance plan with?
(5) Was their doctor a part of the network?
(6) Is their monthly premium expensive?
(7) Is their deductible something they can afford?
(8) If they had to do it again, what would be their options when it came to health care?